As I mentioned in an earlier post, defiance games was on my pre-x-mas list last year. I started to assemble them this week, and there are some pros and cons to these guys. Let's start with the good:
These guys are about 32mm foot to top of head:
They went together easily. The legs were one piece and I glued them directly to a base (I used a washer as it was not as artificially tall as the standard 28mm base, will blend into the tabletop terrain better, and offers a bit of heft to the model.).
Next came the torsos. They fit together quite smoothly.
I had a choice to make, which guns to include....most of my guys were riflemen,
With a few heavies thrown in for good measure.
But as you can see, there is one drawback:
I have three leg sets, six different head selections, five gun choices, four left arms....but only TWO torsos! What the heck? That grouping makes no sense! I had "almost enough" to make one more marine per sprue x 11 sprues, so I could have had 11 more guys per box? I should have casted an extra 11 in resin.
(I may still buy another box and do that. It seems a huge waste of extra parts, I am kicking myself for building all of the guys now!)
So here is a finished marine:
I did mix up the guns a bit, and used all "closed face" helmets. (What can I say, I like the uniform look.) There were other head choices: open helmets
Or no helmet at all:
The only kit included were backpacks, (only one per sprue, I'm using them for radios) ammo pouches, (two per sprue)
and small pouches (three pouches per sprue, I mounted them on the men's arms).
Overall the fit was good, guys went together quickly using testor's glue (in the black, sloped bottle) and they look cool.
Now for the cons:
First there was a lot of flash on the arms, as you can see in these pics:
There were considerable mold lines, which depending on where they were located on arms and legs, difficult to remove...
After priming them with Armory white primer, they are ready to be painted, however, I have to come up with a camo scheme first.
Next up, painting in Part 3!